This is a filetype plugin for Paint.NET that enables both loading and saving of Photoshop .PSD files. It was originally written by Frank Blumenberg in 2006, and has been maintained by Tao Yue since 2010.
Donations are accepted via PayPal, if you’d like to contribute monetarily towards the development of the plugin:
How to install the plugin
Simply unzip and copy PhotoShop.dll to the "FileTypes" folder in the directory where Paint.NET is installed.
Loading and Saving
- 32 bit-RGBA colorspace
- Photoshop .PSD files with the following colorspaces are converted to RGBA on load:
- Duotone (color information discarded, treated as grayscale)
- Multichannel CMY
- Masks are applied to the layer on load. Vector masks are ignored.
What if my .PSD file doesn’t load properly?
Please first read:
Compatibility with Photoshop
If you still have problems or questions, please feel free to:
- Contact me via email
- Post in the PSD plugin thread on the official Paint.NET forums
- File a bug in the Issue Tracker on Codeplex
If the problem occurs with a specific .PSD file, please attach the .PSD file so that I can investigate the problem.
Your bug reports are very helpful! If you look at the release notes for each version of the plugin, you’ll see that many changes come as a direct result of user feedback. In some cases, a user reported a small bug that turned out to affect many
unexpected areas. So please, keep those bug reports coming in! There have been a hundred thousand downloads of the plugin since it moved to Codeplex, so even a small bugfix might potentially help a lot of people.